I have been spending a lot of time working with online video advertising of late and wanted to share some facts. It is an important space, and as most media and marketing people know, a fast growing one. The world of television (content producers and viewers) continues to move rapidly online. And many people are also creating and distributing original video content online (i.e. not from traditional content producers). Annoying Orange anyone? Gary Vaynerchuk and Wine Library TV? The streaming ads are following at a brisk clip.
Here are some interesting facts that came out in an Ad Age report earlier this week:
- currently there 178MM online video viewers in U.S. (eMarketer)
- online video advertising reached $1.5b in 2010 (up 48% from 2009) (eMarketer)
- in 2011 nearly 1/3 all online ad dollars will go to video (eMarketer)
Outside North America the shift to video online is accelerating as well, especially in South America, Europe and Asia. TwitCam is a top 100 site in Brazil (!).
In the video space there are a lot of key players. The significant ones are:
- Hulu…leading the way in terms of high quality content and ad revenue
- YouTube…most viewers
- Livestream … best in breed for live video events online and growing
- Brightroll & AdSense …at the head of the class re: U.S. ad networks
- Vizu …doing really interesting things with audience research
Here’s where it gets interesting: 2010 was the first year — ever — that cable subscriptions in the U.S. declined. That’s right – they went down. Competition is coming to a TV, computer, tablet or smart phone near you. Cable and the MSO’s are on the run for the first time. Stay tuned…or should I say “stay logged in”?
- Nearly 100M Adults To Watch Online TV By 2015 (socialtimes.com)
- Facebook was sixth for online video in January 2011 (zdnet.com)
- 5 Stages of Successful Online Video Marketing (andreavascellari.com)
- VEVO Second Only To YouTube In January (webpronews.com)
- Online Video Viewers Skip Less Ads than TV Watchers (beet.tv)
- The 2010 Online Video Report Card – Consumption Grows Across The Board (reelseo.com)
- Online video usage up significantly: report (econsultancy.com)
- YuMe Says 15% of TV Ad Spend Should Move to Online Video (klessblog.blogspot.com)
- Marketing Data RoundUp: Too many posts can turn off Facebook fans | Online video growth stats (marketingvox.com)
- Big Growth in Online Video Viewing by Women is Encouraging, Zenith’s Michael Turcotte (beet.tv)